Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thoughts from Rabbi Dan Liben


I am so very grateful to JCRC for the opportunity to see Israel through the eyes of another faith tradition, at the same time that I was engaged in sharing with Christian colleagues the Israel that I love from the perspective of my own tradition. The last seven days together have been transformative, and I will be processing our time together for a very long time. Several things came together to create an experience that surpassed my expectations.

First, the incredible array of voices that JCRC put together in planning this experience created a symphony of complexity and depth. There is no single Israeli narrative here; there are many, often passionate, narratives voiced by people who love this country and who are seeking truth as best they can. Kol HaKavod to the JCRC for bringing these varied voices together for us.

Second, the coming together of this particular group of Holy Land Pilgrims, Jewish and Christian, was a Divine gift. The openness, the trust, the intellectual honesty and the compassion of these individuals reflected nothing less than the presence of God. We shared, we heard one another, and we learned from one another. Also, the ability of my Christian colleagues to join in Jewish Sabbath prayers with us with such whole heartedness was humbling, and has given me much to think about. It is not usual for adults to make new friends, good friends, in a week. But I feel (I know) that I have.

Finally, this crazy, challenged, and challenging country, this sui generous miracle of a people restored to its ancient land, this society of immigrants who against all odds share a vison of a common destiny that is both particular and universal in its outlook and goals, inspires me beyond words. As Bob wrote, it is a work in progress. And yet, the commitment of people here to overcome the contradictions and to create a just society under unusally complex circumstances is the true miracle of the State of Israel. May we all be blessed to stand in its light.

No comments:

Post a Comment