Saturday, July 31, 2010

Thoughts from Rev. Bryan Wilkerson

We've seen a lot in a few days, but my favorite sites so far has been Capernaum, the fishing village Jesus called home for the early years of his ministry. The Sea of Galilee is more beautiful than I ever imagined. The ruins of the town are still there -- the foundation of homes that Jesus might have visited, the site of an ancient synagogue where Jesus taught and cast out a demon, and the rocky shoreline where Jesus might've had his first encounters with Simon Peter and Andrew.

I'll never read the gospels again without the scenes coming alive in my imagination!

In a similar way, I'll never read the newspaper accounts of something happening in Israel without picturing these people and places in my imagination. Having looked across the border to Hezbollah -- controlled Lebanon, and listened to the fear and frustration and the voice of local residents, both Jews and Arabs, have a deeper appreciation for the complexity and significance of this remarkable land.

No comments:

Post a Comment