Saturday, July 31, 2010

Thoughts from Rev. Paul Shupe

What a joy it is been to talk theology with my Jewish and Christian colleagues! This trip, specifically the hours on the bus, has provided the ideal opportunity for deep theological sharing. We've spoken, of course, about what we have seen -- the sites that bring to mind for all of us the presence of the holy -- but it's wonderful, from positions of growing trust we have opened our lives to one another, sharing experiences, hopes and joys. The result has been a great bubbling stew of ideas and commitments -- a meal often satisfying, and most often kosher as well.

There have been surprises -- times when I discovered that I have more in common with the rabbis that with some of my fellow Christians for example. Similarly, there have been times when my expectations had been confirmed. But the most common experience for me has been to learn, and to discover that my new learning has enhanced my empathy for those who are different, while nurturing my own faith commitments.

There is no question that I have learned more about and from Judaism on this trip that I have ever previously understood, and that my own Christian faith is strengthened by the experience of learning in this wonderful way. I shall always be grateful to Christian colleagues on this trip, and rabbis and other Jews who have been so open, and especially to God, the one who is at the heart of our faiths and our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment